Painting On Wood


[Click pics for a sharper, bigger version]

The progress [click to biggify] :
Its a refreshing change to use wood as a medium as compared to working on paper. It presents different challenges as well as advantages like the natural grains which gives it a beautiful texture and warmth.

Just decided to try it out one day while i was at Art Friend and saw these wood planks of different shapes and sizes. Looking the those wood reminds me of the works of one of my favourite artists who paints brilliantly on wood. (Can you guess who it is?)

I used one of my own photo as a reference but exaggerated the eyes to make it bigger cos that's where i'd like the focus to be. I slowly built up on the colors yet allowing the beautiful texture of the wood grain to show through. Thus gradually the portrait will slowly emerge from the wood.

It's enjoyable to work on wood but my expenses are tight these days- especially felt it after the surgery. So who knows when the next one will be...

Oh well at least it helped me to lose weight cos i can only have liquid-ish stuff. Lost about 2-3kg in less than a week. Not that i wanna be thin (like who would want smaller boobs?) but on the bright side, it's a fun way to irritate my bf cos now i can call him Fatty without him throwing it back at me.

Very matured i know.

Shilka  – (March 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM)  

Prettttttyyyyy! :D There is something dreamy about paintings made on wood :D Very good job D:

Unknown  – (March 8, 2010 at 11:22 PM)  

Thks! Wood is great! *suppressing urge to paint on a newly installed tree-stump seat in my dorm's garden.* Cos that would be vandalism =x

pat  – (March 12, 2010 at 8:45 AM)  

This is really good, Sarah. How have you been?

Unknown  – (March 12, 2010 at 9:09 AM)  

I've been good =) thks! how about you? haven't heard from you in a long time!

pat  – (March 13, 2010 at 8:12 AM)  

Yeah, been inactive in a lot of areas...started swimming again but other than that, I don't know...just, blah.
Looks like your art keeps getting better and better...
Well, keep in touch......

Unknown  – (March 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM)  

Pat: You sound kinda down... is everything alright? N yeah I've been trying to find time to draw more these days to improve. I've got a long way to go!

Post a Comment

Translate

Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish