The Chimerical Castle (Image Heavy)

I guess now is a good time to finally share these books which i'd been keeping for some time.



Welcome to the dark side of children's book illustrations.

Yep I found these books on a supermarket shelf opposite those of kids' coloring books. Totally puzzled me why they were there in the first place cos they seem a lil to freaky for kids. Well maybe kids these days are more sadistic *shrugs*.

I'm loving the illustrations and doll images. Plus, they were cheap too (bought both books at a total cost of about S$10). If you take a look down at Basheer Bookstore at Bras Basah Complex, illustration books costs more like ridiculously wayyy more.

Anyway, here are some page scans from both books:




















This is the illustrator, one of the pioneers of such style in China.



Found some of these pics by googling a URL link given in the books. Did it some time ago so i forgot his name :x But the link's dead anyway but i will update his name when i rediscover it.

Got my roomie to translate some of the Chinese poetry in there and turns out they are somewhat sad and dark. One image shows a pair of free hanging legs probably a doll hung on a tree among other mysterious ones which i didn't scan in.

One thing's definitely missing in his illustrations.... BLOOD. There's no blood.

Oh yeah i forgot they are just dolls.

I've been tasting blood in my mouth almost everyday for the past three days after a surgery. Kinda getting used to the stitches on my gums and inner cheek and it's quite an experience to have the right side of my tongue numb for a day. My lower lip on the right still haven't gotten back all its feeling. Gives a tingle-ish sensationwhen touched. Lolz.

Ok that ends my rant for the day. Have a great weekend everyone!

Shilka  – (February 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM)  

Those illustrations are pure AWESOME! Thx for sharing :D I have never seen anything like this!

Plaztik  – (February 28, 2010 at 1:48 AM)  

very dark. i like dark. oh yes we're still stalking each other aren't we? thats dark too. =)

Unknown  – (March 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM)  

Shilka: I agree they're awesome =) Glad that you enjoyed them.

Plaztik: Lol yes I'm a stalker. I see you like to design too. That's great!

Post a Comment

Translate

Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish