Painting On Convex Surface







Can anyone guess what object it actually is that I painted on? 

Painting on a shiny round surface feels different. Quite refreshing actually.

Just that I have to be aware of the optical illusion it causes making the face look rounder... I realised this from the first portrait I drew... which is fine since i have a round face anyway :p

Lines tend to appear curved despite painting them straight and I think it can't be helped- it depends on which angle it is being looked it.

Other challenges is not related to the surface but the medium... acrylics do dry extremely fast. Quite an amount dried up on my palette before it could touch the surface. But a good thing about this is that i do not have to patiently wait for it to dry in fear of smudging the work.

Overall I'm happy with this painting which is a tribute to our relationship, happy with how it's turning out so far.

I've never really succeeded in painting a nice portrait of us before this which doesn't look  distorted so this is quite an accomplishment. I remembered I did one in watercolor and when i showed it to him he just burst out laughing.

I mean will you laugh too if you see this?......





















Still laughing?

Mean -.-

I had a humble beginning! Lol. Yes i think it does look funny too.

That was done only last year in 2009. And watercolor is not my thing i guess... despite being a nice medium to use :)

Right now it is only my second year being in Arts school and prior to that I took a Diploma in Marketing- an entirely different realm.

Aced it but felt that it was not exactly what I wanted to do or particularly enjoyed.

So jumping into a totally new field was pretty scary knowing that there will be others with 3 years of Art/Design experiences from polytechnics or even those from Junior Colleges who took Art.

I went ahead anyway to take a Degree in an arts school mentally preparing myself for whatever outcome of my performance in the school will be.

Initially I thought that finally doing what I like will be a trade off for my grades thinking i would just fall behind all these other artistic people.  I wasn't one of those crazy, expressive, loud personalities tied to being artistically inclined- which is a common stereotype I guess. And me being the totally opposite reclusive introverted person thought that I wouldn't fit in.

But I realised that Art is for everyone, anyone who wishes to express themselves and also appreciate the work of others.

And I'm hanging on fine, doing great actually, more than I expected. Alhamdullilah.

I still don't know what the future holds for me in this field but I won't restrict myself in anyway.

If trying to be a designer/artist won't be able to get food to the table, I'd fall back on my backup, my diploma.

But let's hope that artists do not have to starve anymore :)

Instead may abundance of wealth will befall on all artists like a rain of gold!

Ok wishful thinking this is.

Anonymous –   – (May 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM)  

how much u charge? my elder bro is interested.......... its really awesome. i took dnt olevels b4 n i know its really hard to paint on tt kind of surface...

wani

Unknown  – (May 31, 2010 at 1:39 AM)  

Thks wani! Really happy to hear that someone is interested :) Yeah the surface is not a conventional canvas for painting, and i think that's what makes it special too :)

Post a Comment

Translate

Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish