back from long hiatus

If you're wondering what killed me the last few weeks... (or was it months?) it was a crazy load of assignments, submissions and exams.

So to 'celebrate' my freedom, cos apparently i have no life, i just decided to try out something new. Since i don't have and have never tried painting using oils, i simulated the experience on Corel Painter -.-

Used a reference photo which is one i took some time ago wearing bunny ears cos i knew i was pretty much happy at that point in time.


Below: Screenshot of working on the details. (u can see a small section of Bouguereau's painting in the back- he's my favourite master artist so far.)

The painting is still incomplete... and kinda creepy lookin.

And somehow the oils' capabilities were not as intuitive with my drawing tablet's pressure sensitivity so i switched to acrylics halfway through.

Below: Before adding the aqua colored highlights.

Just need some opinions... Do you think it looks better with or without the aqua highlights? Like should I just stick to the warm color palette?

Kinga  – (May 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM)  

Oh, this is different from your other works, indeed! It is always exciting to try out totally new things.

I am happy you added the turquoise (aqua) highlights - those make it really painterly.

Yeah, I hear ya - wish I had 48, oh, what the heck, 148 hours in a day.

Unknown  – (May 12, 2010 at 3:14 PM)  

Kinga: Thks! Now that I have all the time in the world I'm taking the opportunity now to try out new stuff. And glad you liked the aqua highlights- i am always wondering if i'm adding too much or doing too much to my works such that it'll seem overdone. Really appreciate you dropping by and giving feedback on this.

design traveller: :)

Andrew Finnie  – (May 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM)  

HI Sarah, nice to see you posting. I like some of the greenish highlights especially on the face. The more peripheral ones eg on the shoulder bottom left hand side tend to detract so maybe you could desaturate those, or iof its on another layer, just reduce the transperancy

I think on a whole they really lift the portrait.

I heard recently that greenish tones are better in areas where the skin ins thinner - eg at the cheekbones. So the usual manner would be to have the fleshy parts of the cheeks and nose slightly warmer and other parts cooler.

Shilka  – (May 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM)  

Good to have you back in posting :D I like the highlights - makes it more ... artsy? ;D

Unknown  – (May 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM)  

Andrew Finnie: Hi! Thks for the tips! Looking at it again, I guess I did put too much greenish highlights on those areas rather too generously. lol. If i get you correctly does it mean that cooler tones are for darker areas like depressions and warmer tones for protruding ones? Really appreciate your feedback, especially from someone very talented =)

Shilka: I'm glad to be back too :) Thks!

Ana Kessel  – (May 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM)  

I'm following your blog now, it has some beautiful pictures that give me some well needed inspiration :) I <3.

Unknown  – (May 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM)  

Ushishi, glad to be of inspiration :) And i also hope to see more of your works too- be it makeup or paintings. Your are very unique.

illustration poetry  – (May 18, 2010 at 12:35 AM)  

he is in my soul.
forever.
as my own being.

Post a Comment

Translate

Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish