Skirts: Silhouettes and Cuts

Gathering ideas for a skirt. And these are some of the design I'm considering to sew for my dressmaking class. Will need to narrow down my choices!

Tulip Skirts.
These are tighter at the hems and more loose around the hips/waist. 
Paper Bag Waist.
Pleat folds that extends all the way to the top.

High Waisted Pencil Skirt.
A slim close fitting skirt.

High Waisted Pleated Flare Skirt
Looks cute, fun and casual.



Tiny Pleats, 
almost like gathers

Basically I really love high waisted skirts: 
And this is a collage I stumbled on while researching.

Fabric I'm going to use is this: turquoise n white polka-dotted fabric.

I thought that it'll be great for something vintage and fun looking. 
Also the commonly formal looking pencil skirt can also look cute if it's brightly colored with polka dots like this one from Oprah.com.
Preferably I want 
  • something relatively simple to sew
  • highwaisted
  • above the knee hemline

I just can't decide on which design!
Which design do you think is nice / suits the fabric/ suits me?

D_Frost  – (June 27, 2010 at 2:51 AM)  

I think for a more casual look High Waisted Pleated Flare Skirt would be the most suitable cut. It's the fabric you chose that narrows down your choices really. Though, Tulip Skirts are super pretty and more applicable on monochromatic fabrics. Good luck with this project! Thanks for sharing! :)

Unknown  – (June 27, 2010 at 10:34 PM)  

Hi Diana! The turquoise fabric does look like it'll fit the high waisted pleated design best. I love the tulip ones too but yeah I agree with you on the fabric... the tulip is meant to be more sophisticated i guess. It might seem like a simple project but I'm really excited about this. Lol! Thanks for your comment =) Really appreciate it!

Kinga  – (June 30, 2010 at 3:48 AM)  

Dressmaking class?? Now I am envious. I love working with fabrics (and used to sew a lot of my stuff - not anymore :( ).

I love "tulip-ish" shape skirts, the ones that are somehow gathered in the waist line and tapered (??) in on the bottom. Like the first few in this collection.

Love your fabric - post a pic of the finished skirt!

Sybil  – (June 30, 2010 at 3:52 AM)  

i love the tulip skirt and the high waisted style!!! it's flattering on most body types! :D

Animated Confessions

Unknown  – (July 1, 2010 at 4:23 AM)  

Seems like everyone loves the tulip!

But 'm not making one now. I've started on the flare kind and honestly I don't know how it'll turn out yet.

I'll post the end result up- if it's decent or maybe even if it's totally ridiculous =p

Seriously I'm accommodating to what the teacher thinks is manageable for beginners.

Thks all!

Post a Comment

Translate

Google-Translate-Chinese (Simplified) BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to Korean BETA Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish